Saturday, July 30, 2005

Peggy Caffrey reports research at the Library of Congress

Hello, from the Library of Congress! I've been spending most of the summer here in American historians' Mecca, reading the papers of anthropologist Margaret Mead for a book of letters a friend and I are editing. I saw former student, now Asst. Prof. Mike Bertrand here one day--he was here researching his next book on African-American radio. I lug my computer in with me, but many people now are taking digital photos of documents, instead of notes and xeroxing.

The security is extensive and cumbersome, but necessary, I guess--x-ray machines and you need to have a special picture ID card made to use any of the collections. I did take time to see the new Museum of the American Indian--went intending to spend an hour or so and spent the whole day--an excellent shredding of the stereotypes and affirmation of Native American culture.

Looking forward to seeing you all in a few weeks!
Peggy Caffrey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home