Thursday, July 28, 2005

Pictures from western trip ("photographer's paradise") by Jan Sherman and Kim Nichols

Jan Sherman couldn't send pictures from her Blackberry while she and Kim Nichols were on a trip through western Canada and western U.S. Now that they're back, here is a sample of the many photos she took during that trip, with captions that she provided.



This was the first photo I took on the trip. We arrived at Many Glaciers Lodge in Glacier National Park, Montana, in the fog and rain the night before. I grabbed my camera in the morning, walked outside, and this is what I saw. I knew then that I was in paradise.



This lovely young grizzly was taking a morning stroll among the wildflowers in a field near Many Glaciers Lodge. Fortunately, I was in a large vehicle for this shot.



We arrived at the hotel in Waterton, Alberta, in late afternoon. On approach, we spotted this view. I could not have ordered up better lighting for a photo! The Prince of Wales, like several hotels where we stayed, was built by the Canadian Pacific Railroad near the turn of the previous century to stimulate tourism among the well-to-do. So out in the middle of pristine wilderness, you happen upon these fabulously elegant hotels. Now that's my idea of "roughing it"!



This is Waterton Lake from the hill upon which the Prince of Wales Hotel is perched. Note the white caps. The Chinook winds blow so strongly down this channel that it literally blew me off my feet.



Moonrise over Waterton Lake, as seen from the terrace of the Prince of Wales Hotel.



The deer were so tame at the edge of Waterton Lake (in Alberta, Canada) that I was able to come close to take their photographs. Lest the viewer think that I had simply used a telephoto lens, I present this photo with Kim Nichols as proof.



This tiny island (Spirit Island) was a half-hour's boat ride down Lake Maligne near Jasper, Alberta. I believe that of the 200 or so photographs I took on this trip to photographer's paradise, this one is the best one.



These canoe-ers on Maligne Lake gave me the perfect shot. The lake was allegedly named by a trapper who lost all his horses and supplies in the river feeding the lake. He wrote in his diary that this was "le traverse maligne"-- ie evil and perverse. Americans pronounce it MA-LINE; Canadians say MA-LEEN.



Mt Rundel is just outside of Banff, Alberta. We saw a photo of it reflecting in a lake, and set off to find the right lake. This is the result: Mt. Rundel reflected in Vermillion Lake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home